Hi Friends 🙂
I was cleaning up around the house yesterday after work and I noticed I have quite the collection going:
Um, anyone else have this many diet/fitness books? Angela I’m sure you do 🙂 But seriously, this seemed ridiculous! And check out my exercise dvds:
On the one hand, I like having different books with recipes, or different dvds with a variety of workouts. But at the same time I looked at all of these and thought “I’ve been looking for a quick fix for YEARS”. I mean, the fact that I have these 2 books shows how desperate I felt to lose weight:
And the book even claims that I’ll have more energy and be happier! By the way, the 1.5 days I spent on the Master Cleanse diet were probably the worst days of my life. I was miserable and I honestly cannot believe I still have those books! I’d hate to donate them anywhere – no one should follow that program! Maybe burn them?
To be honest I don’t know why I have all these books since they all basically say the same things:
- Whole foods are best
- Eat a variety of vegetables and fruits every day
- Eat regular meals (and most of the books say snacking is good too)
- If you aren’t sure of what to eat, pair a lean protein source with a vegetable
- Exercise regularly
- Drink plenty of water
- If certain foods don’t agree with your body, don’t eat them! (dairy, soy, wheat, etc)
I’m sure there are more similarities, but these are all I could think of for now 🙂 And I’m not trying to say that EVERYONE should follow those “rules” – they just seem to be the similarities in all my books.
So even with my need for a quick fix over the years, I had the information all along – I think I was looking for a book that said “Holly eat what you want when you want and you’ll still lose weight” – because I kept buying books and dvds that would maybe finally “work” for me – but what I needed to do was actually WORK. I joined Weight Watchers and learned a way to track my food intake. Now that I’ve been at goal for a few months now, I’ve loosened up a bit and I haven’t been so strict. I enjoy treats but I don’t overindulge (well, as long as you don’t count my State Fair trip…) heehee
I’m interested to hear what diet/fitness books you have and what you have tried. I don’t have a book about it, but I have tried the Cabbage Soup Diet before and again, those were two horrible days that I will never get back!
1. So tell me about your diet books and if you follow any of them or how you choose what/when/how to eat. Any great exercise dvds/classes you’ve been using that you just love?
2. Did you do anything fun this weekend? I cleaned my parent’s laundry room yesterday — I give them “cleaning coupons” and “yardwork coupons” for their birthdays and then they can cash them in whenever they want to — I like to give gifts like that, instead of just giving friends/family more stuff — we all have enough stuff!
3. Do you follow the same sleep/waking schedule on the weekends as you do during the week? I usually go to bed around 10:30pm and get up at 6am for work each weekday, and then on the weekends I stay up until 11 or 12 and I get up around 7 or 8. Do you use an alarm clock?
Please check out Jen’s giveaway at EatMoveLove!
Have a great weekend,